Thursday, March 30, 2017

Wide Ground Wire woes

This is one of those "Who knew?" type of things.

When I was purchasing parts and equipment for the repair of the Harlem Globetrotter Pinball table, I knew I wanted to replace the groundwire. Although it was not in too bad of shape:


The poorly implemented runs bothered my sense of perfectionism (those wires should be parallel!!) and this seemed like a great time to try out a complete redo.

The old groundwire is a small one, so I purchased a big fat one. After all my Dad always said, no matter what it is, if a little one is good, then a big one is "gooder!"


The problem with wide ground wires is they don't curve very much and while it is possible to do the bed-over turn, its tough to make it look good.

Couple that with my poor soldering skills and you end up with less than beautiful results.

When I started this, I hoped to make something that would look good enough to be in a glass case, where people would ooh and ahh over how beautiful all the behind-the-scenes work was. Now I'm just hoping the lights all light up.

Here are a couple of shots showing the difficulties. Its not bad when the wide ground wire only has to make a couple of bends, but when its a zig-zag pattern it really makes it tough to do a good job!


not quite what I was hoping for in the "beautiful work" department...sigh

No comments:

Post a Comment