Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Light Panel for the Harlem Globetrotters table

Now that the computer table is almost finished - just waiting for another set of lights - I have turned my attention back to pinball.

To recap:

The Harlem Globetrotters table was in serious need of topper work.
The glass was in good condition but:
There were boards missing.
No power was going to the table.
The case had flaking lead-based paint
There were an unknown number of  light bulb problems on the light board.

So to start with, I pulled out the light board (the piece of plywood that all the light bulbs are attached to) and took a look at it.
The board wasn't in too bad of shape, but it seemed like a good warm-up for the full cabinet, so I took pictures of where all the old wires were and pulled them all out as well as the lamp holders the wires were soldered to:



I threw all of the lamp holders into the tumbler:

Although they are not going to win a shinyness contest, they look much better and hopefully will work better without all the corrosion all over them.

The wood panel itself was sanded down (being careful to wear a lead-based paint rated mask,) sealed and repainted in the brightest white I could find.

Now comes the slow work of stapling and soldering the wires and the sockets back into place. I've tried to be a little more careful about 90-degree angles and keeping things parallel where I could, just to make myself happier. 

The work is coming along with about half of the ground wire in place

No comments:

Post a Comment