Monday, April 3, 2017

Designing a Steampunk Inspired Lamp

After finishing my lighted computer desk, I've been looking at my Pinball work area with a fresh eye. I think the area needs some Steampunk styling. I don't need a full total makeover, but I want to add something functional but also with a bit of a WOW factor to my area.

Eventually I want to do some fun things with my light switch, but for now, my biggest need is a lamp. I currently have a couple of old discarded bedside table lamps (with shade) trying to light my work area. What I need is a couple of bright lights that I can move around and point in the right direction.

My first thought was to purchase a couple of these cheap clamp-on lights:




I think that is the right answer for me, but I still need something to clamp them on to. And that's where my steampunk thoughts began spinning. I didn't really want a full, metal-only light like this:

Steampunk Gear Steam Gauge Lamp

Which, although it is wicked-cool, isn't going to fit my needs. So I started designing my own one.

I have a few requirements:
  1. it must be free-standing, and able to stand up on carpet and be stable.
  2. it must be pretty tall. I want the lamps to be able to shine down onto whatever I am working on 
  3. It must be able to support the clamp-on lamps so I can easily point, move and add more or whatever I want.

My concept is this:






The center is two wooden boxes, hollow inside and each about 2-3 feet tall. Then there are pipes, forming feet and links between the two sections of wooden box. At the top is a pipe "square" that the actual lamps can clamp onto. Wiring will run through the center of the pipes and inside the boxes down to the floor and out to the wall.

Construction should be pretty easy, the pipes on the bottom can be wide to provide good stability and the wood boxes allow it to be 5 feet high without being too heavy or expensive. I'm currently thinking of some nice stained and sealed cedar planking for the box - cedar is cheap and long lasting.

Ideally I could put a multi-outlet strip inside the top box so I can literally plug and unplug lamp as needed. I a, not sure I want a box that big though. If not I will just mount a couple on the top and run their wires down and out the bottom.

Time to head to the store and get some materials. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment