Wednesday, March 7, 2018

A gigantic step forward

Finally, finally, I have made progress with the Harlem Globetrotters pinball!

and this isn't a little progress, this is a LOT of progress!

I started working on the unit, checking and identifying cables and connectors. I thought perhaps I had plugged the wrong one in and accidentally swapped a couple. So I sat down with the schematic and verified cables and wires (J2 is a 28 pin connector, wire 1 is green with grey stripe: check) and marked them with Sharpie.

I dug around and found a 2-wire connector that was supposed to go to the sound board that had not been connected and plugged it in.

When I was finished I turned it on. Lo and Behold I heard a sound!! yes, the startup music played and most of the lights started flashing:
it works!




According to the manual, self-test #5 was the sound self test, so I pushed the test button.

And some lights came on, not all of them but some changed and this was the light test!

With baited breath I pushed the test button again. The second test was the score displays. These had never shown anything in the 18 months I have had the unit. They all came on and counted up!

Seriously - this thin has been dead for 18 months while I slowly worked it over and now it has at least partially come to life!

Test 3 was the solenoid test and as usual, the only solenoid that works is the "match" solenoid. None of the playfield ones do anything.

Test 4 was the switch test, it shows a zero on the displa, not sure what that means yet

Test 5 was the sound test, it makes a continuous changing sound so I think its ok.

Theoretically I should be able to start a new game. The MPU board is set for free-play.

But when I push the "Start Game" button, nothing happens. No spark of electricity, nothing.

Looking at the coin-door unit shows it to be in pretty bad shape:
coin door

so its possible I am unable to start a game because the door wiring is screwed up...



Back to the schematic, but hey.....its alive!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment