Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Cleaning the dropdown - part 2 (disaster)

Time to own up. I have made a totally stupid mistake and have screwed up my table.

I took apart the dropdown and cleaned it. Afterwards the fuse blew.

After considerable head-scratching, I discovered two things:

1) I did not take good enough pictures. It seemed easy to take a couple shots and start taking it apart, but when it came time to put it back together the lack of pictures made it almost impossible to figure out which way the tiny lip was oriented on the sleeve or which wire went where.....I had lots of pictures but the wires were out of focus in every one.

2) after taking my best shot at putting it all back together and wiring it all back up and powering it on, I found I had put the solenoid in upside-down.

Which means it was wired backwards!

Naturally it pops the fuse. I took it apart, put it back together the right way and tried again. Still blows the fuse.

Checking the diode on the solenoid - Its fried....sigh.... so I ordered a replacement.

It finally arrived today and I eagerly soldered it in and turned the table on....it blew the fuse again!

...sigh...

So I disconnected the new parts and the table worked just fine.  I spent considerable time digging around in the parts looking for a short or something, without success. Finally I started checking voltages, I found that the wires to the cleaned dropdown assembly had 28 volts on them all the time instead of being switched.

I am pretty sure that means I have shorted out at least one transistor on one of the boards, possibly a chip.

Oh yaaa

No comments:

Post a Comment